Note: when typing about the American Astronomical Society meeting, be careful that AAS does not autocorrect to ASS. Hilarity may ensue.
That said… it’s time to get back on a plane and head to Long Beach for the annual big meeting of US astronomers! Now, after the gargantuan AGU meeting I was at last month, this will probably seem quaint and provincial. But it is just about my favorite time of year. First of all, there is ALL THE ASTRONOMY that you could want to hear and talk about. I get to see all my old astronomy buddies from undergrad and now grad school, PLUS some of my LA friends are finally within striking distance. Pamela Gay, Scott Lewis, and I will be there representing CosmoQuest with posters and talks and some time spent at the giant NASA booth an awesomeness in the exhibit hall. But my hair is still pink so I probably won’t be that hard to find. Here’s a rough schedule of where I’ll be that I’ll update as needed. Unless otherwise noted, these events are for conference attendees only.
- 5 – 7 PM – We’re going to try and make the K-12 Educator Reception at Naples Ballroom III at Renaissance Long Beach
- 7 – 9 PM – Hopefully also we’ll make some of the opening reception at The Aquarium of the Pacific because that sounds fun
Update: My rough Monday plan #aas221: NASA booth at 9:30, 11:40, 2; Early Science with HERA at 10; JWST booth at 4; wander posters 5:30; funsies!
- All day – Scott and I have our posters up (#248.02 and #248.03) but who knows when we’ll actually be there. We’ll put up a sign. Or something. Exhibit Hall A at Long Beach Convention Center
- 10:50 AM – Pamela gives a talk about CosmoQuest at Astronomy Outreach for Non-traditional Audiences in Room 102B at Long Beach Convention Center
- 11:30 AM – 2:00 PM - Education and Public Outreach Student Event in Exhibit Hall A at Long Beach Convention Center. I’ll probably be with STSci at NASA
- 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM – NRAO Town Hall in Room 104C at Long Beach Convention Center
- 9pm ish – Possible TweetUp being organized at Congregation Ale. All welcome if in the area!
- 6 PM Knitter meetup! Details TBA
- THE Party. Of course.
- 10:00 AM – 5:30 PM - Hack Day at Beacon A (Downtown Hyatt Long Beach)
The usual contact info is @noisyastronomer on Twitter and hashtag #aas221 for the meeting in general.
See you there!