Okay, so, lots on my mind these days. But first, I do need to put out my thoughts on the X-Files Movie, The X-Files: I Want to Believe. If you haven’t seen it already, clearly you were not as obsessed with the show enough to care that I’m going to be spewing SPOILERS left and right, so here goes…
Seriously… skip this if you don’t want to know what happens!
I know, I know, so in the X-Files, the paranormal stuff always turns out to be true and the skeptics are wrong. But that doesn’t stop it from being one of my favorite shows, and I was *so excited* to see a new movie!
Actually, the paranormal component wasn’t very large, and as usual it was kind of dubious. I realize now it’s the “want to believe” that leads viewers to believe that the woo-woo is actually happening. In any case, the driving force of the plot was intensely creepy. The creators of the show have NOT lost the touch for that at all! I was expecting big-movie action and adventure, and was instead surprised by a scary, gripping, and gruesome plot. It took a while to get going, but once it did, it was non-stop creep-fest! I’m amazed I slept at all that night. Oh yeah, and there’s a cylon in it. Not really, but he was one of the bad guys.
As for Mulder and Scully. They have left the FBI and are living very different lives now. The characters themselves have changed, too, almost beyond recognition. If it wasn’t played by the same actors, I wouldn’t have known it was Mulder and Scully. Also, it takes almost half the movie to finally work out what they have been doing since the show ended, making the earlier scenes between them incredibly awkward. Their first conversation was bascially “how many inside jokes can we put in one scene that the fans will recognize!” Eh, I’ll go for it, but it’s not good for story-telling. Once the plot got rolling, though, the characters settled into the awesomeness that we remember, and the last half of the movie was really awesome. Once Mulder shaved that god-awful beard, too.
So, go see it for a good, creepy movie, just don’t get caught up in the weird character interactions. And if you were a no-romo back in the day, you will probably be annoyed. (Shippers rule!)
Things that annoyed me:
– DD’s beard
– the suspense of whether or not Mulder and Scully had stayed together
– blatant “this is 2008” cultural references
– plot inconsistencies that I had to purposely ignore
– people getting cut in the neck BOTHERS me and freaks me out
– the kiss was a little over-gratuitious, but they owed us for the bee thing in the first movie
– it took so long for Skinner to show up!
– gratuitous and unecessary death of a character during a chase scene
Things I liked:
– XF back on the big screen!
– Scully is still brilliant
– Skinner was in it!
– Mulder and Scully kissed!
– Mulder’s stalking-chasing scenes were fabulous… minus the blundering in with a wrench
– creepy-awesome story-telling
– the cute thing after the credits… stick around to see it!
– did I mention the creepy story-telling? it was the best!
END SPOILERS. It wasn’t that spoiled anyway, I hope.
Expect to see me at Best Buy the day that it comes out on DVD!